Clerk Services

Town Clerk:  Sally Ober   Assistant Clerk: Caroline Siegfried

Email the town clerk:

62 Quaker Street

Lincoln, VT 05443

Phone: (802)453-2980

Fax:  (802)453-2975

Office Hours: 

 Monday:  8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Tuesday: 8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Wednesday:  8 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

Thursday:  8 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The Lincoln Town Clerk’s Office offers many services.  Here is an overview:

Dog licenses:  All residents with a dog or wolf-hybrid over the age of 6 months are required, by State Law, to license the animal with their Town Clerk.  Bring a copy of a current rabies certificate from your veterinarian, along with $15 for a spayed/neutered dog or $19 for an intact animal. After July 1, the fee goes up to $17/neutered and $23/intact.  There will be no rabies clinic in 2021 due to the pandemic.  The Tractor Supply store in Middlebury may have occasional clinics.  Contact them directly for details.

Transfer Station:  Open every Saturday, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m.  NO sticker is required at this time.

Property Tax Payments: These can be made at any time during the year, but the coming due dates are Oct. 13, 2021 and March 9, 2022. 

Zoning Permits:  Applications for Building, Access, Temporary Use Permits, and Certificates of Occupancy/Compliance are available on this Town Website. 

Land Records:  This office keeps permanent records of property transfers, liens, zoning, surveys, and other land records.  The recording fee is $15 per document page, and $25 for maps.  From the recording fees for each page or map, $4 is reserved for restoration and conservation of the records.  Copies of land records cost $1 per page.  Some of our digitized land records are now available at

As more of our records become available digitally, we will expand the offerings on our US Land Records website.  Please contact the Town Clerk to make an appointment if you need to come into the office to search our records.

Vital records:  Certified copies of birth, death, and marriage certificates are available here.  The cost is $10.  You will need to show a valid ID and complete an application in order to obtain vital records copies.  Contact any town clerk or the Vermont Vital Records Office to request copies.

Civil Marriage Licenses:   The fee is $60.  Licenses are good for 60 days after the issue date.  VT Law does not require any blood tests to get married. Contact the Town Clerk to make an appointment to obtain a license.

Voter Registration:  You may register to vote here if you are a U.S. Citizen, you are 18 years old on or before an election, and your primary residence is Lincoln, VT.  17-year-olds can vote in a primary election, if they will be 18 by the date of the general election. 17-year-olds can only vote the primary ballot, but not other local ballots until they turn 18.  You will need to bring your VT Driver’s License or Social Security # in order to register to vote, if you have one.  Online voter registration is at: .

Elections:  If you would like to help as an election worker, please contact the Town Clerk.  The March 1, 2022 Election polling place will be at Burnham Hall, 52 East River Road.  Polls will be open from 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.

Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV):  We can process a vehicle, boat, or trailer registration renewal, as long as it is not more than 60 days expired; and snowmobiles within the year.  A check or money order for the DMV renewal fee is required (no cash).  There is a $3 fee for the Town, payable separately from the DMV check.  We issue a temporary registration and sticker while you wait for your renewal to come by mail.  Many DMV forms and manuals are available here.  New vehicles or those registrations more than 60 days overdue must be processed directly with DMV.  

Excess Weight Vehicle Permits:  Excess Weight Permits are required for operators of vehicles in excess of the posted weights for Lincoln’s roads and bridges.  These permits cost $5 for a single vehicle, or $10 for a fleet, and they expire each year on March 31.  A valid Certificate of Insurance is required along with the fee.

Land Posting:  If you post your land against hunting, shooting, fishing, or trapping, State law requires landowners to record this notice annually at the Town Clerk’s Office; the fee is $5.  

Fish and game licenses:  These are not available at the Town Office, but the Lincoln General Store does sell them.

Notary services:  Please contact the town clerk to make an appointment.

Green Mountain Passports:  These are available for residents of Vermont over age 62, or Veterans of the uniformed services.  The cost is $2.  The passport offers discounts at State Parks and the Addison County Fair.

9-1-1 Reflective Address Signs:  These can be ordered from Bristol Rescue. Call them at:  802-453-2472, and ask for Mark Rickner.  These signs help emergency services find your home.